Monday 20 January 2014

Music, Actually

How's it hanging, homies?
I'm usually made fun of by my friends because, despite knowing a lot of stuff regarding music and regularly following the music industry... My friends be saying I have a really bad taste in music. I guess they prefer 'pop' crap to pure awesomeness ie. metal and rap. So, anyway .. I wrote an article for a newspaper (which didn't come in the newspaper cause I'm not popular enough or some crass). So, here it is-

Every Song Has Something Special To It
-          By 17 Chainz
Before I sat down to write this article, I made a playlist consisting of genres that not many of my friends listen to. Most of these songs were by some of the most mercilessly criticized music artists. I listened to it and I realized that most of these songs were my all-time favourites. So basically it means that either I have a bad taste in music or majority of others do.  The former is more likely but since I am expressing my opinion of music in this article I will tell you how I find the beauty in the often criticized and ignored songs.

Let’s start with heavy metal, a widely disliked genre of music. A large segment of traditional people consider such music unholy and parents say it is disturbing. This criticism can be due to the fact that heavy metal songs consists of constant screaming,  not much beats  and is usually played very loud.
However, when I listen to a Metal Song especially by bands like Disturbed, Slipknot, Slayer and
Saliva I forget all my worries and all my troubling thoughts and just immerse myself in a world of sublime loudness. Have you ever heard an amazing guitar solo and almost literally felt the music flowing through your spine? Well, that’s what metal feels like to me! 


There are also artists like Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, Taylor Swift, Demi Lovato and Carly Rae Jepsen. I won’t say anything about the first two artists, because I don’t particularly like them but I listen to Taylor Swift and Demi Lovato when I feel emotional. Their songs have such meaningful lyrics and make me feel like I am not alone. 
Lessons can be learnt from Rap as well. Despite popular belief Rap is not just about black guys talking about their jewelry, their cash or thuggery. Nor is it a battle between West Coast vs. East coast all the time. Rap tells stories of friendship, overcoming obstacles in life and being thankful for what you have. Mirror feat Bruno Mars by Lil Wayne and Right thru’ me by Nicki Minaj two of the most criticized music artists reflect these ideals.

So, the next time somebody says a song that you listen to is terrible, ask them to listen to it again carefully and they will surely find something special in the song.





5 comments:

  1. Loved your article !! The same is the case with me I don't listen to rap or metal very often and I prefer classical or emotional songs !! So we're on the same ground ehh!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we are on the same ground. I am ecstatic that you were able to relate to this article (and also glad that you took the time to read it) . Keep commenting on my posts so that I know what your opinion is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All others who are reading this.. The main objective of my blog is to be relatable to you guys and just post things that would interest you and are of interest to me. So, this is not a request, but an order .. I urge you to comment on the articles you have read on this blog and share your opinion by commenting. It will be fun for me and other readers to discuss and compare viewpoints. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with you!! All genre's of music has some kind of message and meaning in them. It just depends on what a person feels at a particular moment. I personally am not a fan of rock or metal (though my brother has a rock/metal band and so does very good friend of mine). Despite my dislike in metal, I do enjoy listening to it on specific moments - like if I fight with my parents or bff or have a major heartbreak. Like you said you can completely indulge in such music and forget all your worries!
    Also, some people have a very harsh opinion on bands like One Direction or artists like Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez, Miley Cyrus etc, but I feel their music is perfect for dancing or just random singing in the shower!!

    What I'm trying to say is ''Beauty lies in the Eye of the Beholder'' No one can have bad taste in music, they can only have difference of opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah! I was a Bieber hater. But then I realised how I was not being open minded and I didn't have to go crazy with the hate over him, I could just ignore his music.

    ReplyDelete